Friday, February 17, 2012

Meet Tut'Zanni - Introducing: ALi Landvatter

We wanted to take the time to introduce you all to the members of Tut'Zanni Theatre. Just a quick background about the group, we all met while studying physical theatre at the Accademia dell'Arte in Arezzo, Italy during the Spring 2006 semester. We have since gone on to do many different things but have never forgotten or lost the connection we forged there. As we come together again over the next few weeks we will be introducing ourselves to you while reconnecting with each other. 


INTRODUCING: ALi Landvatter


Role: Founding President & CEO
Location: Los Angeles, California










In her own words:


When did you first know you were interested in theatre?


I've known I wanted to be an actress for as long as I remember. I was in plays and musicals as a little girl in Dutch Harbor, Alaska, where my mom started the theatre program in our small community. It never stopped for me, and I've always been in improv groups, and studying various forms of theatre, with a particular affinity for foreign theatre styles, such as Japanese theatre (Noh, Kabuki, Bunraku- I love the puppetry and shadow puppetry), and obviously commedia.


How did you hear about the Accademia dell'Arte and what made you decide to attend the 2006 program?


I graduated high school at 17 and didn't want to go to regular college. I wanted to go to Italy, and I wanted to study theatre by DOING theatre, and the Accademia was the only place to offer it, and it looked awesome. It was extremely difficult and timely for me to get in, I was only 17, I wasn't in college yet, but somehow I was accepted and everything fell into place, making me the youngest student the Accademia has had to date!


What did you do after you returned to the USA?


I returned stateside, and went to the University of Utah- I studied more Japanese theatre, as well as acting and directing Shakespeare. And of course continued to study more clown and commedia and all that beautiful physical theatre on my own time. Then I moved to LA and dabbled in some film, which was fun, but not my passion.


What was your most recent project(s)?


I was in a play called The Dark Side of the Moon, a play to the album of The Dark Side of the Moon. I also joined Mimoda Jazzo Gruppa, a movement theatre company, and am still currently performing with them. 


Why did you decide to create Tut'Zanni?


After an incredibly difficult time in my life (or perhaps right in the middle of it), I trapsed off to Europe for some good old-fashioned self-discovery (or re-discovery), healing, and maybe a little sight-seeing. I re-ignited my love of life and decided to chase after my passions, and thus Tut'Zanni was born. Lucky for me, I roped in one of my dearest, best friends to run along with me with this crazy project. And then of course I was stoked to have so much support from my peers, and am so happy a few of them agreed to come work with us. I am excited to see everything we can and will accomplish... I can feel the momentum just building behind it. I really feel it will be something huge that will explode into the theatre world. I'm hoping that it will be something new and exciting that will touch people's lives and hearts.

1 comment: